Pages

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Living the Sample Life: Should I be more picky?

This is really a post about 2 issues, they sort of link, well they do in my mind!


I've received a couple more samples since my last post, consisting of packets of E45 lotion and Boss Nuit perfume. My favourite so far arrived today and is a sample of Chanel's Voluminising  Mascara, all wrapped up in a really posh box.

Since applying for samples, I've been thinking if I should be more selective. It's so easy to get carried away, especially when it's free.

A couple of days ago I decided to do some research on ethical/unethical companies. It's been on my heart for a while and was brought forward to my mind after the story of the collapsed building in Bangladesh, highlighting the conditions some people work in just so we can get cheap clothes.

I stumbled across an article about Nestle, a company I have always been a bit dubious about, but after reading that the CEO said that water should be paid for and is not a human right, got me so angry, that I decided once and for all never to buy any Nestle products again.

Now is this going to be hard at first as I really like Rolos, and After Eight mints, and it cuts out a lot of cereal. I was so surprised to find out Nestle also own parts of L'Oreal, Garnier and Maybelline and also Body Shop!

Body Shop is one of my favourite shops and it really upset me that if I am to stick to my promise to never buy Nestle products, that would mean Body Shop has to go too.

This has therefore made me more selective about which samples I go for. Like today, Maybelline are giving away thousands of make up samples, but because Nestle owns part of the company, I won't apply for it. It may be a free sample and it won't cost me anything, but it promotes the company that costs the lives of so many other people.

When I go shopping, I now check the back of bottles to make sure who the product the is made by, the ingredients (I'm now trying to buy products without parabens in them) and where it was produced, (ideally in the UK). 

What are the reasons for me doing this?

I'm not doing this to make myself look good, I have decided to do this as it has been on my heart to do something to make a difference, even if it a small one. You can get an idea what a person is like by their shopping and what they choose to buy and for me I want to try to buy products that show I think carefully about where it has come from and the company that produced it.

I might not have explained it properly (sometimes I can't find the right words to get across what I mean) but hopefully you get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment