Pages

Thursday 10 January 2013

Operation Front Room!

I've been living in a rented house for over a year now, and I haven't really done a lot to it to make it feel more homely as I wasn't sure how long I was going to stay here.

Recently we have had insulation work done. Because we don't have cavity walls, they had to attached 90mm foam boards to the inside of the house at the front, and onto the outside of the house at the back. This means the walls of the front room and front bedroom are now an extra 9 cm thick and are now a different colour to the rest of the house.

Our landlady has organised a decorator to come in and repaint the walls, and this has spurred me on to actually make the house more like a home.

The front room currently is the spare bedroom for guests and is used as my husband's computer room, so I've decided to claim the front room as my own, to store all my sewing and craft things that are currently taking over the living room.

 At the moment, the front room is being used as a storage space. It's a very small room dominated by a massive fire place and a huge cupboard/shelving unit, and it can get very cold, so hopefully the insulation will make a difference.

One of the other reasons I want to start using the front room, apart from storing my craft and knitting things, is to use it as my office. I have always wanted to write a novel, and I have had an idea for a story for the past 4 years but unfortunately I think finding things to distract myself. The living room is too comfortable with a sofa and tv, so I thought if I had a space dedicated to just writing and being creative, it might help me to be more disciplined.


I have made a small start on the room by changing the curtains. The previous curtains were thin and a beige colour, so not very inspiring , so I change them for cream ones with blue/green poppies on them. They were £9.99 from Home Bargains and they match the carpet really well.


I have also started re-upholstering some of the chairs that came with the house, as we can't afford new chairs. I had some material left over from a door curtain I made and cut out a square to re-cover the chair.

To attach the material, I must admit, was a bit of a botch job, using things I could find around the house. So I used a mixture of drawing pins and small nails, but it works so I'm not complaining :)


So this is now my project to keep me occupied while looking for a job at the same time. I will try to update this more regularly than I have done before and hopefully there are ideas here that you can use too!


No comments:

Post a Comment